.
.

Sunday, February 8, 2009

from the back row of the chapel...

i was running a little late to church this morning and when i got there, i didn't want to interrupt and go into the chapel, figured i could enjoy church from the comfort of the foyer chair. well, turns out that the foyer isn't for listening to the program of the day, it is the place to hang out with your small child, which i don't have one of, so i moved myself into the back of the chapel. they say that those who sit on the back row in a classroom or anywhere really never learn anything. well, today i am thankful for my back row experience. today's meeting was several people asked to share their testimony and their favorite hymn. after each testimony was shared, as a congregation we sang their favorite hymn. it was lovely. picture this for a minute with me

testimonies born by people in all stages of life
all parts of the hymn being sung in voices good and not so good (come on it was 8:30 am)
young dad who brought his small kids to church alone today singing, setting a good example for his kids
teenage boys paying attention to what is being said and singing along
young kids mimicking the chorister waving their little arm directing each hymn
husband's arms around their wives
a loving bishop and his counselors on the stand

i felt the spirit, smiled, sang and was reminded of my own testimony as we sang the hymn "i know that my redeemer lives".

in my current storm, i am thankful for moments like today and what i saw from the back row of the chapel...



4 comments:

  1. Love what you've shared. I'm like you and typically don't like the back row (I get distracted very easily in church). Today I also sat in the back row and loved it. It was fun to observe people's reactions to the talks and to take in the bigger picture than just my little corner of the world. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this post. I too am thankful for special glimpses like these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. I appreciated your post. It is good to be reminded that the Spirit can teach us, regardless of our environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, Jeana! I just refuse to sit on the back row ... mostly because my kids can't sit still back there, that and their butts slide right through the holes in the hard seats! :)
    BTW, I know you're a busy gal but when are you going to put some more stuff on etsy? Can't wait to see your stuff. :) The sweaters were super duper cute, just a tad bit out of my price range. Hope to see some stuff soon! :)

    ReplyDelete